Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 18 Jul 2023 16:56:38 GMT by
Will I be charged CGT for my parents house, which I brought for them by remortgaging 52k and them having a discount from the council of 72k. I paid all costs and upkeep of property and insurance and charge no rent. We have a declaration of trust with them for the property and in their will it is written for the property to be passed to myself and my wife on the death of both parents? This was done in March 2017.
Posted Tue, 25 Jul 2023 10:28:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

It is possible that you will be subject to capital gains when you dispose of the property. Capital gains is the disposal value, minus buying and selling costs (including purchase price). As this is not your main residence, you will not be entitiled to private residence relief.  

General maintenance, such as, replacement boiler, roof, windows etc, are considered revenue expenses and cannot be set against any gains. 

CG15150P - Capital Gains manual: introduction and computation: computation: expenditure

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 25 Jul 2023 11:05:37 GMT by
When you say purchase price does that include the discount that was associated with the property on purchase? Also could you claim against CGT for the rent that was not taken since the purchase in 2017? Thanks for your assistance on this.
Posted Wed, 02 Aug 2023 11:31:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

No, income from property is taxable under Income Tax legislation, so cannot be set agains capital gains.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.