Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 24 Mar 2024 14:03:38 GMT by Glenne Nelson
Hello all, Our son passed away intestate on 13th August 1021. Both my wife and I are beneficiaries as next of kin and executors as deemed by the Letters of Administration. My son wasn’t married, had no civil partners or dependents, so his main asset was his house (for which we already paid of his mortgage debt). We never transferred the house ownership to ourselves and now have it on the market with possible completion in this tax year. We have downloaded the form for filling out capital gains tax (CGT) but not sure if we fill it as beneficiaries or executors as we are both….or since the property is still in our son’s name, we can only act as executors for the estate. Thank in advance for any response.
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2024 11:35:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

You will be selling as the executor.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2024 12:12:38 GMT by Glenne Nelson
Thank you for responding. I assume that we only need to fill in one capital gains tax form.as filling it in for the Estate. We had conflicting information from HMRC help lines. One agent saying that my wife and I need fill out separate forms, another saying that we only need to fill out one.
Posted Thu, 28 Mar 2024 17:36:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Glenne Nelson,
As the estate is selling, it is only 1 form:
Report and pay your Capital Gains Tax
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2024 11:01:16 GMT by Glenne Nelson
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.