Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2024 14:34:12 GMT by Nando89
Hello, I am very confused about the following matters, and I tried to understand by searching in the forum, but I found clashing information. I am working as an employee and I have the following investments: - I put some money in a savings account, open this year, (10th April 2024) with an English bank. This account gives a 5% return in a year, so 11th April 2025 - I invested in a French Bond through an online broker, always this year, in June 2024. I sold that bond and I had a return on the investment of about £500. I withdrew this money and deposited it back in my bank account. It's unclear to me what taxes I should pay now, so these are my questions: - For the £500 earned from the French bond, should I fill out a self-assessment form? - What's the tax percentage I should pay on the French bond return? - What will I have to declare when I'll get the 5% back from the savings account? Will this be already taxed? Or should I fill out a new self-assessment, next year? Thanks very much for your help!
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2024 06:28:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Nando89,
As you are in receipt of foreign income / foreign capital gains, you meet the criteria needed for the completion of a Self Assessment tax return.
You can register for Self Assessment here:
Check how to register for Self Assessment
In that tax return you would declare your UK savings interest and your foreign interest, converted into pounds sterling.
If you made a capital gain from the conversion of sterling to Euros to deposit into the bond and back to sterling, this would also be declared in the capital gains section of the tax return, even if the gain is below the £3000 annual exempt allowance.
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2024 07:31:04 GMT by Nando89
Hello, Thanks very much for your kind reply. I will register for a self assessment. Just to know, for the current tax year, 2024, I have to submit an online self assessment by 31st January 2025, is this right? May I ask you another question? At the moment, I bought a GILT. If I sell the GILT before its maturity date, will I have to pay taxes on the earnings? or GILTS have a special tax treatment? Thanks very much
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2024 10:10:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Nando89,
That is correct. for the gilts, please see:
CG54900 - Securities: Gilt-edged securities
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.