Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2024 19:33:08 GMT by M B
I'm trading crypto and stocks using the Alpaca platform (US Trading platform). The entire portfolio will be continuously reinvested so all profits are retained in the account. My understanding is: Maintain a record of all buy/sell transations including the exchange rate at point of sale (or as close to the date as possible) File a self assement tax return at the end of the tax year If the value exceeds 6k it is subject to CGT at a rate of 10% for basic and 20% for higher earners Is the above correct and are there any other considerations to be made? e.g. what is the tolerance on exchange rate used etc
Posted Thu, 18 Jul 2024 09:53:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Michael, 
The CGT allowance for 24/25 is only £3000 and not £6000 so it will be anything above this that is liable.
There is no tolerance as such in respect of the exchange rate as you can use spot rates at any time as long as they are within the relevant tax year.
Thank you. 

Posted Mon, 22 Jul 2024 10:04:09 GMT by M B
Thanks for clarifying If I use the following sources for exchange rates: Federal Reserve and Bank of England. When trades are done on bank holidays or weekend where data is not available can the next working day be used e.g. Trades done on a Saturday use spot rate from the upcoming Monday?

[Links removed - HMRC Admin]
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2024 11:32:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi M B,
You can use HMRC rates at HMRC currency exchange average rates.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.