Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 05 Jul 2024 12:02:12 GMT by keo9753
Dear Team - thanks for your advice to my question. The 'family' home was purchased 10 years ago by me and my wife. Less than 2-year ago I bought a 2nd property to live in a we considered our future together, to formally separate or not, finding a rental close by was near impossible to stay close to children, hence reluctantly a second purchase. Likely we will now separate, in which case I will remain at the second house for the foreseeable future, the main house will be sold, unless my wife decides to buy me out. If I complete the forms to nominate this 2nd home as my main residence from the date when I bought it, before the 2 year window elapses, is this ok? I assume when we sell the family home, which is on the market now, I will claim main residence relief for the first 8 years on my share of the family home, and pay any gain on the last 2 years. And my wife has full private residence relief on her share? And for my second home which is then my main home, I will have full private relief until I sell it sometime in the future Thanks for your advice.
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2024 13:32:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

Yes, that is correct.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.