Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 10 Jul 2024 06:39:37 GMT by acarey01 Carey
Hi, I'm in the process of transferring a property over to my daughter and her husband, and have had my attention drawn to potential CGT issues. I've had some online valuations from Zoopla and Nationwide (hope they're ok) and seen a profit of approx £18,000. Looking and the guidelines I'm guessing £15,000 of this will be liable to CGT. I have built a single story extension onto the rear of the property and rewired it, and reading your guidelines I'd hoped that I could deduct these costs from any CGT due, am I reading this correct?
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2024 13:19:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
Yes, the cost of  creating/completing the extension. provided you have evidence, will be an allowable cost.
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2024 13:32:18 GMT by acarey01 Carey
Hi, thanks for the reply. This work was carried out approx 13 years ago, I do have some receipts but not all of them as work was done mostly be me, but I do have the relevant building control certificates to prove that the work took place. Also would an online valuation from Zoopla be adequate? Thanks
Posted Tue, 16 Jul 2024 14:42:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
Yes, the cost of  creating/completing the extension, provided you have evidence, will be an allowable cost.

Posted Wed, 17 Jul 2024 12:20:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi acarey01 Carey,
Please have a look at CG15180 onwards, relating to enhancement expenditure
CG15180 - Expenditure: enhancement expenditure).
It is up to you to choose how you obtain the market value.
If you are unsure of your valuation, HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) can check it for you.
After you’ve disposed of the asset, complete a ‘Post-transaction valuation check’ form. Return it to the address on the form - allow at least 3 months for HMRC’s response.
Post transaction valuation checks for Capital Gains (CG34)
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.