Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 02 Aug 2023 15:14:47 GMT by
Hi, This is the first year for me and my husband to do the self assessment. We have no UK income, and we have capital gains/(loss) from trading of US stocks. I would like to confirm whether my understanding on the losses to be carried forward is correct: My situation: Capital gain £3,000; capital loss £18,000; net loss £15,000. The capital gain is within the AEA. I can declare my gross loss £18,000 (rather than the net loss) to be carried forward. And I can fill in the SA 108 as follow: Box 27 (Losses in the year): 0 Box 47 (Losses available to be carried forward): £18,000 My husband's situation: Capital gain £2,000; capital loss £300; net gain £1,700. The capital gain is within the AEA. He can declare the gross loss £300 to be carried forward. And he can fill in the SA 108 as follow: Box 27 (Losses in the year): 0 Box 47 (Losses available to be carried forward): £300 Thanks a lot for confirming my understanding. Many thanks for your help! !
Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 13:24:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

You would show your dispsal proceeds in box 24 and your allowable costs in box 25 and allow you to show a gain in box 26. The gross figure for losses can be entered in box 27 and box 47.

In your husband's case, he would declare the disposal proceeds in box 24, allowable costs in box 25 and the net gain in box 26. The annual exempt allowance will be applied, no Capital Gains tax is payable.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 08 Aug 2023 19:09:45 GMT by
Thank you very much for your informative response. To ensure my understanding is accurate, I'd like to clarify a few points. In my situation, where I've conducted 20 trading transactions involving stocks, should the values in box 24 and box 25 reflect the total disposal proceeds and allowable costs of all these 20 transactions, encompassing both profitable and loss-making ones? Consequently, is it correct to deduce that box 26 might not necessarily equate to the difference between box 24 and box 25? Should box 26 exclusively encompass the gains resulting from profitable transactions, rather than all transactions? Furthermore, in my husband's scenario, is it possible for him to declare the loss of £300 to be carried forward? In this case, would it be accurate for him to indicate £0 in box 27 and £300 in box 47? Many thanks!!
Posted Tue, 15 Aug 2023 11:48:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
The boxes on the tax return are summary boxes.  
You would show that there were 20 transactions and declare a total for the 20 transactions in each box.  
You would also add as an attachment, a breakdown of the 20 transactions, which would show how you arrived at the summary information.  
If you had a spreadsheet, showing 20 disposals, you would add the 20 disposals and enter the total on the tax return, the same for purchase costs etc.
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2024 14:50:13 GMT by CQ
I just want to clarify the post by HMRC Admin 32 Response. When they said "gross figure for losses can be entered in box 27 and box 47". That cannot be correct for box 47? Only NET loss of £15,000 can be carried forward and entered to box 47?

You must be signed in to post in this forum.