Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 20 Jan 2024 11:44:57 GMT by
In 21/22 I entered £1000 in the "Losses available to be carried forward" field. In 22/23 I wish to carry forward £2000 FROM THIS YEAR (i.e. 22/23). Therefore do I enter £2000 or £3000 on my 22/23 tax return? (in other words do I need to enter the cumulative value from this and previous years or is it just the carried forward loss from 22/23?)
Posted Wed, 24 Jan 2024 10:41:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi mattbloke,
The losses carried forward is cumulative so you would claim the sum of earlier years losses and this years losses being carried forward.
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 24 Jan 2024 12:17:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi Cablecar,
The general rule is that property losses are automatically carried forward and set against rental profits of the following year. The property business profit of the current year may be too small to give relief for all the loss of the previous year.
If so, the loss is carried forward to the next year, and so on indefinitely until relief can be given.
Further information is available at:
PIM4210 - Losses: setting losses against future profits

Posted Wed, 24 Jan 2024 12:51:21 GMT by
Admin 25 - thank you for your clear answer. I will combine the losses in my capital gains Admin 8 - I believe you have incorrectly responded in my thread. This thread is capital gains related

You must be signed in to post in this forum.