Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 28 Aug 2023 21:11:18 GMT by
Hi I recently relocated from HK to UK on 21 July 2021. I am writing to seek guidance and clarification regarding the application of Private Residence Relief and CGT in my specific situation. 1. I moved to the UK on 21 July 2021, and my residential property in HK , which I used as my primary residence before moving to the UK was sold on 19 Sept 2022, 2. I would like to confirm whether I am eligible to apply for Private Residence Relief, considering that the property was my primary residence before my move to the UK. 3. Assuming I am eligible for Private Residence Relief, I understand that the covered period would extend for 9 Months after I moved to the UK, which would be until March 2022. Please confirm my understanding is correct. 4. Following the application of Private Residence Relief, there would still be a period of 6 Months (April to September 2022) for which I would need to account for capital gain Tax. Please confirm my understanding is correct. 5. Utilizing the calculation outlined above, the resulting capital gain after applying this above would be £7000, which remains the tax allowance. I want to ascertain whether I must report the CGT in my self-assessment tax return, even though it falls within the tax allowance.
Posted Mon, 04 Sep 2023 10:20:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

Yes, you can claim residential relief on the property to reduce any gain and this includes the additional 9 months.  

As it is a foreign property and would have been sold for excess of £49200, it must still be reported even if no tax is due.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.