Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 28 Apr 2024 18:47:21 GMT by carlos.calroy
Hi, Talking about financial year 06/04/2023 to 05/04/2024. My annual exempt amount limit was £6000. I need some clarification for this situation: I use two different brokers to buy/sell shares (no ISA shares account). In one of the brokers I have Capital gains and in the other one I have Capital losses. The total amount taking into consideration the two brokers is negative. I guess I don´t need to report capital losses. Am I right? I guess I will need to report Capital losses for the next financial year if I have capital gains above £3000, to be able to deduct the losses from the preivous year. Is this correct? If this is the case, how can I report the capital losses and how many years I had for doing it? Thanks very much.
Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 14:38:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

There is no requirement for you to report capital gains losses to HMRC. If you do, you can carry those losses forward to a future tax year and set them against a future gain. This must be done in writing, which includes supporting evidence or when submitting a Self Assessment tax return.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 02 May 2024 16:35:38 GMT by carlos.calroy
Thank you very much. Very clear.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.