Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 12:39:48 GMT by
Attempted to contact HMRC via letter no response and via phone cut off after initial discussion. I purchased my property in Oct 12 with my now estranged wife and it was our family home until 18/08/22 when we moved abroad. From 29/08/22 to the beginning of August 23 the premise was let out . The property was put on sale in March 23 and sold December 23 . As my ex wife is now abroad she has had a uK accountant take care of her half of the split property gains but I query am I liable to any due to residing in UK + how would I submit showing it if I have to. From August 23 until it was sold I would have moved back into the property however due to Ill health could not do so and resided with family to monitor me. Grateful for any help / advice received.
Posted Fri, 02 Feb 2024 09:25:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi John Kicinski,
Please refer to guidance here:
Report and pay your Capital Gains Tax
As you lived in the property you can claim Private Residence Relief to reduce any potential taxable gain:
HS283 Private Residence Relief (2023)
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.