Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 03 May 2023 20:10:43 GMT by
Hi i bought a small house in portugal in 2007 My total outlay was roughly £45 k. Including fees at that time. I am now in process of selling it for 99 k euro. I will have many fees too pay as i have to pay Say 20k euro. Then will have too pay capital gains on any profit left. Then send remaining funds back too uk. Am i also liable for tax in uk Capital gains etc.
Posted Thu, 04 May 2023 18:55:02 GMT by
How can i get an answer too this from hmrc representative on this forum ?
Posted Wed, 10 May 2023 13:21:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

If you are UK tax resident, you will need to declare the gain inthe UK. You wil lbe able to claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief for the tax paid in Portugal. see guidance at:

Tax on foreign income

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 12 May 2023 20:47:03 GMT by
Ok thank you for kind reply. Ive no idea when the sale will actually happen due too complications with sale process in portugal. But when and if it happens I believe I pay capital gains. Via my lawyer in portugal on any capital gain i make on sale too portuguese tax authorities. What documentation should I insist on from lawyer. To prove cap gain paid in portugal. Too satisfy as proof too hmrc when I declare in uk
Posted Fri, 19 May 2023 12:48:51 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
Anything that would show that you paid capital gains tax in Portugal.  
You may also have capital gains tax to pay in the UK, but you can claim a credit of up to 100% of the tax paid in Portugal.
Thankyou.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.