Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 30 Jun 2023 12:32:27 GMT by
I have submitted by self assessment today inputting all the details on the capital gains tax I paid after filling in your online capital gains and tax and paying last November. I earned £10,000.00 less than I had expected and therefore a refund is owned to me and shows up as an overpayment. I do not expect to pay any tax next year, I am 61 and not working now and want this overpayment refunded. I have spent over 6 hours in the last month on the phone trying to get through to someone about this. Today I stated Capital Gains tax on your recorded phone line as what I wanted to talk about and then after 40 minutes I was put through to 'IT' who then put me back right to the start of the recorded messages not the capital gains tax department. How do I get my refund??
Posted Thu, 06 Jul 2023 13:35:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

Our self assessment and capital gains services do not interact with one another. This means that manual intervention is required.  

As our Self Assessment telephone lines are closed until 4 September 2023, you will need to webchat with a techncial officer. They will be able to arrange for repayment of the overpaid Capital Gains Tax to be sent to you.  

Please contact us at:

Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.