Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 03 Feb 2024 11:42:24 GMT by Gareth
Hello, What is the simplest way to demonstrate that one has gifted shares to one's spouse? My spouse does not have a brokerage account in the relevant jurisdiction so I would like to sell her shares in my account, but want to be able to demonstrate clearly that they are hers and that the capital gain is hers. Thank you.
Posted Wed, 07 Feb 2024 09:23:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You would need to provide written evidence that is witnessed, similar to a deed of trust, to show that your wife is the beneficial owner. This would need to be done prior to any sale taking place.

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 08 Feb 2024 15:21:05 GMT by Gareth
Thank you, I appreciate the response and I understand the principle. Is there an HMRC document that describes what is acceptable? "Similar to a deed of trust" could be open to interpretation and I want to make sure I do it properly for Self Assessment.
Posted Tue, 13 Feb 2024 14:43:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

No there is no template/document. You would need to prepare this yourself or with a solicitor.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.