Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 14 Aug 2023 18:24:48 GMT by
Hello, I wanted to ask if I sell my property in India, pay the taxes there and then transfer the proceeds to the UK by bank transfer, are there any additional taxes to pay? If yes then what kind of tax I would need to pay and how to claim tax relief? will the UK India DTAA help? Regards
Posted Thu, 17 Aug 2023 07:39:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi guynextdoor Smith,
You will need to work out if there is a Capital Gains Tax liability arising in the UK.  
You will need to convert your acquisition costs to pounds sterling, using the exchange rate in operation at the time you acquired the property.
You will also need to do the same with the disposal costs, using the exchange rate in operation at the time you disposed of the property.
If the difference results in a gain, then you will need to declare the disposal of the Indian property on a Self Assessment Tax return.
The official exchange rates can be found here:
Exchange rates from HMRC in CSV and XML format
Exchange rates 
If your Indian home was your main residence, then you may be able claim private residence relief (PRR).
Guidance on PRR and a calculator can be found here:
Tax when you sell your home
Thank you. 
Posted Tue, 26 Dec 2023 21:11:11 GMT by
I am a UK citizen and am selling residential property in India. I will need to pay a significant capital gains tax. I will have to pay 20% capital gains tax in India. I have also calculated the CGT amount to pay here in the UK (at 28% using the CGT calculator on the gov.uk site). UK CGT is greater than the India CGT amount in my case. I will be given foriegn tax credit relief by HMRC for the CGT amount paid to Indian tax authority. Indian tax authority offers CGT exemption if I invest the capital gains amount in a government specified govt. bond for 5 years. If I invest in these India govt. bonds, will HMRC still offer me the capital gains tax credit for the amount that was due to the Indian government?
Posted Mon, 08 Jan 2024 13:30:07 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

No, as you have not paid any Capital Gains Tax overseas.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 09:37:25 GMT by
Hello, I have just sold my father's flat in India (inheritance after his passing) I am going to pay Capital Gains Tax in India and I also have been gifted some moeny from my mother and need to transfer the entire amount to the UK - Do i have any tax to pay in the UK? How do I calculate this please? I am so confused as I thought I only had to pay tax in one country.
Posted Mon, 15 Jan 2024 15:55:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

The gain also needs to be reported to the UK, converted to sterling.

You can claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief for the Indian tax paid up to the maximum of UK tax that would be due.

There is no  Income Tax due on the cash gift from your mother.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.