Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 18 Aug 2024 00:49:36 GMT by Confused3456
Hi, I inherited a sum of money, which went into a trust and was invested by the trustees. I now have access to this and wish to dispose of the investment. Firstly, when would you calculate the starting value for CGT? Is it when the trust originally invested it or when I received it from the trust? Secondly, I believe by either start date my gains (if any) are less than the tax-free allowance, but the value of the sale will be over £50000. The .gov.uk page on CGT states: If your total gains are less than the tax-free allowance You do not have to pay tax if your total taxable gains are under your Capital Gains Tax allowance. You still need to report your gains in your tax return if both of the following apply: • the total amount you sold the assets for was more than £50,000 • you’re registered for Self Assessment These rules apply from the 2023 to 2024 tax year onwards. I'm not registered for self assessment, so am I correct in thinking there is no need for me to report this sale even though it is over £50000?
Posted Mon, 19 Aug 2024 15:43:55 GMT by Clive Smaldon
Not HMRC...depends on type of trust. If not a bare trust then trust will be responsible for CGT on transfer to you. If bare trust then you are liable on sale...which then determines if/how you need to report. On £50k proceeds if it was a bare trust Id still register and complete a SA return to avoid any future issues/checks, but, you can use HMRC's "real time CGT reporting" if not registering
Posted Mon, 02 Sep 2024 07:55:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Confused3456,
Please refer to guidance at: Capital Gains Tax: what you pay it on, rates and allowances.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.