Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2024 17:52:01 GMT by CF W
Hi HMRC admins, I and my wife have a joint stocks and shares account in a broker and also I have a single account in this broker too. Some of the stocks and shares were transferred from the joint account to my single account through the INTERNAL TRANSFER without any disposal. My questions as below: 1. Whether those kind of activities defined as disposal and acquisition? 2. If it was defined as a transaction, how can I defined the buy/sell prices as the transfer only between two accounts which are also under the name of husband. 3. Do I need to report this kind of activities in the CGT of self assessment although there is NO Capital Gain or Loss? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2024 09:02:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

There are no Capital Gains Tax implications from the transfer of assets between husband and wife and civil partners. You transfer the shares to your wife with your acquisition cost of the share. This cost would be used when working out any capital gains liability should the shares be disposed of.  

You do not need to report the transfer of assets between husband and wife and civil partners to HMRC.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.