Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 16 May 2024 04:57:18 GMT by Leigh Tryhorn
Hi. I sold a residential property November 2023 and paid the CGT as required within 60 days.Im in the process of completing my online self assessment form as I have other investments and am struggling to find where to put the information that I have already paid the CGT on the form as do not want to pay CGT twice. Thank you .
Posted Mon, 20 May 2024 11:07:42 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
You will need to tick yes to disposing of chargeable assets, when tailoring your tax return.  You include the disposal value and the allowable costs.  When you are in the 'fill in your return' section click on the capital gains option. Tick yes at the box for 'Residential property and carried interest' as well as the box for your other disposals and save and continue.  You then show the number of properties disposed of, the disposal proceeds, allowable costs and gains.  just after the question 'are you making any claims or elections, there are two boxes for the gain and tax reported using the online capital gains service.  These boxes will place a credit into the tax calculation for capital gains tax already paid.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.