Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 24 Jul 2023 17:18:42 GMT by
I'm a UK tax resident and own a property in South Africa. I'm now looking to sell it. Its price has gone up almost exactly as much as the local currency has gone down versus GBP. I'll have made around GBP500. Given the CGT allowance does this mean no CGT would be due to HMRC, or should I instead be declaring the local currency gain translated into GBP which would likely mean a CGT payment to HMRC? Thank you in advance!
Posted Tue, 01 Aug 2023 13:38:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

All parts of the calculation must be in pounds sterling. Using the official rate of exchange in use at the time of acquisition, convert the buying price and buying costs to sterling. Using the official rate of exchange in use at the time of disposal, convert the buying price and buying costs to sterling. If after the acquisitions costs and disposal costs are deducted their is a gain, then you are required to declare the gain on a Self Assessment Tax Return, even if the annual exempt allowance will cover the gain. The tax return is required as the disposal value is over £49200.00.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 01 Aug 2023 17:01:30 GMT by
Thank you very much

You must be signed in to post in this forum.