Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 11 Feb 2024 13:08:12 GMT by
I owned shares in Uniq plc prior to the demerger of Wincanton from Uniq in May 2001. Following the demerger, I calculated the base cost of my new Wincanton shares in accordance with percentages provided by Uniq in November 2001. This base cost calculation included an RPI allowance. It is likely I will be selling my Wincanton shares in the near future. Please can you advise if I should be using the base cost so established in 2001 or if I need to back out the RPI allowance for the purposes of capital gains tax.
Posted Wed, 14 Feb 2024 12:00:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi brian bostock,
The guidance at CG17207 advises that following the simplification of Capital Gains Tax.
Disposals on or after 6 April 2008 do not attract indexation.
You should use the base cost in calculating Capital Gains tax.
Please see guidance here:
CG17207 - Indexation: history
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.