Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2024 15:42:16 GMT by Amolak Mann
Hi, I sold a piece of land abroad (India) . This was ancestral land which I inherited I have taken the value of the land at my inheritance (from a chartered valuer/surveyor) which I believe is correct and converted to GBP at the HMRC rate for that period and then compared this to the rate I sold it for converted to GBP at the relevant HMRC rate. I have a few questions if you could please help with this: 1)Firstly is my calculation method correct 2)Due to exchange rate fluctuations it is coming out as a capital loss. Do I still need to report this? I don't usually complete a self assessment, do I still need to report if it is a loss? 3)In terms of carrying forward this loss against future capital ains, is this possible due to it being a foreign loss? And if it is possible do I still need to complete the self assessment this year to declare the loss
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2024 12:30:22 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,
  1. Yes, this is correct.   
  2. If the actual disposal was in excess fo £50,000, yes.  
  3. Yes you can carry it frward as long as it is notified to HMRC within 4 years of it arising. whether a return is needed or not is answered at pont 2. if no return, then you would send a letter with the information to:

HMRC PAYE & Self Assessment
    BX9 1AS
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.