Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 20 Jul 2024 16:57:32 GMT by David Hill
I am a basic rate tax payer proposing to sel a significant quantity of gold bullion circa £160,000 on behalf of my girlfriend who currently does not have UK domicile for tax [being recently arrived from Ghana]. Question 1: How can any Capital Gain be determined when the gold has no known purchase cost? Or is it simply taken as Zero acquisition cost and a gain/profit for the full sale price [which seems rather unfair} Question 2: If I funnel the sale proceeeds through my own bank account because she does not yet have a UK bank account will I become the liable party to pay the CGT? As a basic rate tax payer what is the rate of CGT that I should withhold for HMRc As a non domiciled [non resident] person what iif any is the rate of CGT? Thank you for any clarity on these matters David Hill
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2024 08:24:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi David,
Gold bullion will be liable to Capital Gains.
A value will have been given for when the gold bars were acquired - a search engine would be able to confirm this. as it is going through your bank account and in your name then you would be seen as the owner and liable for the gains.
You would need to have a declaration of trust to say that you are not the beneficial owner so that the gain is charged on your girlfriend. Due to the level you state you are selling, you will be liable to both basic rate and higher rate tax of 10% and 20% on any profit.
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2024 19:22:42 GMT by David Hill
Follow on question; If the gold derives from an inheritance would a Deed of Transfer [eg upon distribution of assets ]to the beneficiaries issued by the High Court of Ghana be resonable proof for an aquisition date in terms of valuing the gold?
Posted Mon, 29 Jul 2024 14:01:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 17 Response

Hi ,

The guidance at CG31140 states the acquistion date is deemed to have been acquired at the date of death and
the acquistion value is the marked value at the date of death . 

See :

Capital Gains Manual  .

Thank you .

You must be signed in to post in this forum.