Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 24 Sep 2023 06:26:44 GMT by
Good morning Would appreciate some advice please as finding this a minefield! We purchased my parents property (House A) in January 2014, at full market value. My mother was terminally ill and they could not afford the mortgage payments. The purchase allowed them to live there rent free, with no additional worries. My mother passed away in December 2014. My father continued to live in the house as a non rent payer until his death in December 2020. A portion of House A was rented out between January 2015 and January 2021. We moved into House A in March 2022 and it became our sole residence until present day, due to major renovation on our previously main residence (House B) which rendered the house unliveable. We plan to move back into House B upon completion of the sale of House A. House A was bought for £250,000 and due to be sold for £350,000 Rent received was 600 p/m during lettable period. House A was unoccupied from January 2021 until March 2022. Do we qualify for relief for 1) the reason the house was purchased, 2) the fact it was rented, 3) the fact it has been our primary residence since March 2022. Thank you very much
Posted Tue, 03 Oct 2023 08:50:45 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

Please refer to guidance at:

HS283 Private Residence Relief (2023)

You will also want to review:

CG64485 - Private residence relief: only or main residence: two or more residences: right of nomination

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.