Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2024 09:32:22 GMT by Emily Tsui
In November 2020, I used my income in the amount of HK$60,000 to buy company shares from the employee stock purchase plan. I got matching shares and free share in November 2020 when I bought the company shares. Also, I got dividend shares in the past 3 years during the frozen period. For the purchase amount HK$60,000, I paid income tax in 2020 to Hong Kong Tax Authority. I left the company in April 2021 and I moved to the UK in July 2022. In November 2023, these company shares, matching shares, free shares and dividend shares were unfrozen and I sold all these shares and left the plan. I am preparing the submission of the Self Assessment form for tax period 6 April 2023 to 5 April 2024 and I have the following questions: 1. For the company shares I bought in November 2020, as I already paid income tax for the amount of HK$60,000 to Hong Kong Tax Authority in 2020, do I need to pay Income Tax for this amount or Capital Gain Tax on the gain? 2. For the matching shares and free shares that I got in November 2020, all these shares were sold in November 2023 and I got a gain, should I include these for Capital Gain Tax or Income Tax? 3. For the dividend shares, I sold all these and also got a gain, should I include these for Capital Gain Tax or for Dividend Income Tax? Thanks in advance for your help on this. Emily
Posted Fri, 20 Sep 2024 08:32:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,
Unfortunately, we are unable to provide specific advice tailored to individual circumstances on this forum. This forum is for general queries only and is intended to help you self-serve. You are able to contact HMRC regarding Capital Gains Tax.
Contact HMRC
Alternatively, you may wish to engage the services of a professional advisor/accountant to assist with your enquiry.
Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.