Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 04 Jan 2024 23:40:13 GMT by
I am a live-in landlord and rent my spare rooms out to flatmates, and have been submitting my tax returns for a few years. In next financial year I'm expecting roughly £5000 cost of roof repair bill from my flat's RTM/freeholder company. The funds will be raised under section 20, to replace the current roof as its worn out. The works will also be done in future at some point. To complicate things further, I plan to move out to live with my partner at some point in next financial year, leaving my flat rented to my existing flatmates. To what extent the future roof repair costs can be deducted as an expense against future rental income from that flat? Will the rules be different if I'm a live in landlord Vs live out landord? Please advice.
Posted Mon, 08 Jan 2024 11:57:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 2

From our understanding of your question, you let out part of your property to flatmates and are looking to determine if any or all of the expenses incurred replacing a worn out roof may be claimed against future rental income. In this situation, it is important to work out what type of rental business you are trading under. If you are trading using the rent-a-room scheme, then any expenses incurred cannot be claimed for.

However, as you have mentioned an RTM company, we would advise to contact our  Corporation Tax team, who may be able to offer further advice surrounding this expense.

Corporation Tax: general enquiries


You must be signed in to post in this forum.