Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2023 09:20:13 GMT by Lisa Gray
If I am paid a flat rate of £60 per night by my employer for when I stay away (this is fully taxed), can I claim back the actual costs I have incurred on my tax return? Also if I am not paid anything for meals by my employer, can I claim the flat rate of £25 per 24 hours on my tax return to cover food costs I incur while away? Thank you.
Posted Fri, 24 Nov 2023 11:49:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Lisa Gray,
Please have a look at the information here:
Claim tax relief for your job expenses
Please complete the claim checker.
If any expenses are allowable, you can claim them online.
Thank you. 
Posted Mon, 27 Nov 2023 09:29:16 GMT by louise.willis
Can you confirm whether this travel of of x hours is the actual in the car travel time or the time spent away from home/office. It is not clear in any of the documentation I have read.
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2023 14:55:27 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You can see guidance here:

Claim tax relief for your job expenses

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.