Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 28 Jan 2024 00:07:07 GMT by
I am a UK resident and I work for an UK company and I pay my tax in the UK. I have contracts of 6 weeks at the time, registered on PAYE. But my company always sends me abroad for work. They pay for my travels, hotels and hire car. For subsidence and meals, they give me per diems of £25 per day. This is below the HMRC benchmark scale rate and my expenses for food always exceed the £25 per day. Can I claim tax relief on my subsidence and meals expenses? If so, can I use the HMRC benchmark scale rate instead of keeping all receipts? If not, can I claim more than the HMRC benchmark scale rate if my receipt is more than the rate? Thank you
Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 09:37:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If you have receipts, you can claim for actual amounts for food. You can see guidance here:

Claim tax relief for your job expenses

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.