Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 19 Dec 2023 11:41:11 GMT by
Hi, I wonder if you can help me. My only source of income in through PAYE but have to submit a self assessment due to my income being over the relevant threshold. My main question is relating to expenses and if I can claim any, and if I can, is there a limit for expenses that I can claim. There are a few things that have been expenditure relating to my work and wanted to get some views from professionals. I work for a company that has offices but the nearest one is just over an hour away so work from home for 3 out of 5 days every week, therefore travel to and from the office the other 2 days, approx. 90 mile round trip. I don’t think I can claim on this as I am going to and from my place of work, but wanted to understand if my understanding is accurate. I have also had a home office built in the back third of my internal garage (thereby rendering the garage no longer usable as an actual garage). This office is solely and wholly used for my work and was required to have a suitable working space for me to work within whilst working from home. Where do I stand on claiming any of this back, including costs for desk / additional monitor / chair? Do I have any other costs I can claim back for working from home too? Thank you in advance
Posted Fri, 22 Dec 2023 14:19:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

In the employment section of the self assessment tax return is a section for employment expenses. There is no limit to valid expenses. Travel to and from the office is not allowed, as this is classed as private travel. Please have a look at the link below which will explain what can be claimed by employees.

Claim tax relief for your job expenses

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.