Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 24 Feb 2024 15:30:39 GMT by Rubicon678
I recently changed jobs and as a part of this, I had to pay a contract buy-out fee to my previous employer. Can I reclaim the tax on this buy-out?
Posted Tue, 27 Feb 2024 10:55:10 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
If you are required to complete a self assessment tax return, you should follow the guidance below when completing SA102 or the online equivalent.
If you’ve had to pay back money to your employer due to a contractual agreement (often known as claw back), reduce the amount of pay in box 1 by the amount paid back.  
If the result is a negative amount, enter zero in box 1. Include the negative amount, but as a positive figure, in the ‘Post-cessation trade relief and certain other losses’ box, box 6 in the ‘Other Tax Reliefs’ section on page Ai2 of the Additional information page (SA101).
Enter a note to explain why you’ve done this in box 19 ‘Any other information’ on the SA100.  
If you’ve had to pay back money to your employer due to a contractual agreement (often known as claw back), reduce the amount of pay in box 1 by the amount paid back.  
If the result is a negative amount, enter zero in box 1.  Include the negative amount, but as a positive figure, in the ‘Post-cessation trade relief and certain other losses’ box, box 6 in the ‘Other Tax Reliefs’ section on page Ai2 of the Additional information page (SA101).
Enter a note to explain why you’ve done this in box 19 ‘Any other information’ on the SA100.
If you are not required to complete a self assessment tax return, you will need to submit a claim in writing, to H.M. Revenue and Customs Pay As You Earn BX9 1AS, providing evidence of the claw back.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.