Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 25 Jul 2023 09:12:52 GMT by
Hi, any advice you can provide will be grateful. We are a mobile mechanic business and require going to customers houses or work places to do our work. I have an employee who works for us between the hours of 5:30pm to 10pm and we are considered their secondary job. They do have a Primary job with another unrelated company which they work from 8am to 5:30pm. I need advice on how I would calculate the business mileage for this employee as he does our work while traveling home from his Primary Job and I am confused on the rule that you don't get paid for traveling to and from work or any normal commute. I can provide an example. Lets call his primary job as A, work job from us as B and C and his home address as D. To keep it simple lets call his normal commute from work A to Home D as 10 miles exactly. He leaves Work A and travels to Job B which is 2 mile away. then travels to Job C which is along the same route he would normal commute home. From job B to C is 12 miles, then from Job C to home D is 1 mile. Total he has done is 15 miles from Work A to B to C to Home D. This is where I am confused, in a normal day he would have to commute from Work A to Home D of 10 miles. So would I work out the total of 15 miles take away his normal commute of 10 miles. As he has only gain an additional 5 miles of fuel usage or wear and tear on his vehicle etc.. above what would be his normal usage OR Do I have to pay him the whole 15 miles, in effect paying for his fuel home. I hope this is not confusing for you. Regards
Posted Tue, 01 Aug 2023 09:55:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
Please contact us on 0300 200 3200 to discuss this in more detail.
Thankyou.
Posted Wed, 02 Aug 2023 10:49:26 GMT by
For future reference and to help any other person in the same situation. I called HMRC and they advised that it is entirely up to our business if we want to pay for the mileage at all. Either 5 miles or the entire 15 miles or no miles, this is due to B and C being clients and the employee do not start at what is considered a work address. This leaves us with 4 scenarios. 1) Pay the full journey from work to home 15 miles. 2) Pay from B to C and not A as they are going to the job and not D as they are going home. So in effect Job to Job, this does not work where there is only 1 job involved (A to B to D) 3) Pay from A to B to C and not D as they are finished and going home. 4) Pay any additional mileage beyond the original commute mileage. So in the above example 5 miles.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.