Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 09 Nov 2023 17:18:37 GMT by RayC3333
Purchased a cheap foldable cycle to get to jobs where there is no local public transport. Spent money making it roadworthy. I don't use it for any personal transport. Can I add the outlay as allowable (capital) expenses? If so will I be asked for every individual receipt?
Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 15:59:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi RayC3333,
If using the cash basis, you can claim your costs as allowable expenses.
See further guidance here:
Cash basis
HS252 Capital allowances and balancing charges 2023
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 18:08:30 GMT by RayC3333
Thanks for your reply. The cash basis link led me to 'simplified expenses'. Apart from being regularly out on the road to do my job, I do a significant amount of pre and post work at home (assessing potential contracts, logistics planning, organising travel, bookkeeping etc.). Didn't know I could claim a flat rate based on the number of hours per month.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.