Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 26 May 2024 12:49:56 GMT by wattie
I wish to post a cycle bag ahead of my arrival to a hotel in italy inorder that I can use it to transport my bike back to England on the flight home. The bag is old and worth under £25 secondhand, do I pay duty and what would be the customs code? Thanks
Posted Tue, 28 May 2024 11:44:54 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Hi Whether duty or import VAT is charged will be in the hands of Italian customs. Goods worth below €150 are exempt from duty but not VAT. You need to check the commodity code yourself in the tariff schedule ( the EU codes are usually the same up to the first 8 digits) https://www.gov.uk/trade-tariff
Posted Tue, 04 Jun 2024 09:18:31 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
Anything posted or couriered to you from another country goes through customs to check it is not banned or restricted and you pay the right tax and ‘duty’ on it.  VAT is charged on all goods (except for gifts worth £39 or less) sent from outside the UK to Great Britain or outside the UK and the EU to Northern Ireland. 
If you bought the goods yourself and they are not excise goods, the seller will have included VAT in the total you paid.
You’ll be charged Customs Duty on all goods sent from outside the UK (or the UK and the EU if you’re in Northern Ireland) if they’re either excise goods or worth more than £135.
More information on below link:
Tax and customs for goods sent from abroad
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.