Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 26 Apr 2024 21:19:29 GMT by Koops85
Hello, I'd like to ask for your advice on something. Here's a potential scenario: There's a shipment of Dangerous Good heading from Canada to Zambia. The freight forwarder in Canada and freight forwarder in the UK have agreed that the shipment will be sent to the UK by fast parcel courier. Can UK freight forwarder act as the IOR since they are not a part of the contract of sale, and once it entered the free circulation, re-export the shipment to Zambia? Thank you, K
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2024 17:38:48 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Why would the goods need to come via the uk and enter in free circulation here? Although it’s not a requirement to own goods being imported it is unlikely that a freight forwarder or courier would want to take the risk of being the importer and suffer import duties an unrecoverable import vat . Only an owner can recover import VAT.
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2024 17:48:48 GMT by Koops85
Hi @customs old-timer, Thanks for getting back to me on this. Basically, the routing options are very limited, so my colleague from our JFK office has come up with a "brilliant" idea of sending it over via FedEx Express and clearing it here under our EORI number as Home Use and then re-export it. I'm trying to explain to her that our role in supply chain (freight forwarder) is not being IOR as we don't own the goods , plus we shouldn't take unnecessary risk of handling heavy regulated shipment this way. I just wanted pro's opinion on this , just make sure that I'm not the one in wrong here...
Posted Wed, 01 May 2024 10:57:53 GMT by Customs oldtimer
If it’s just a matter of available routing surely the goods do not need to be customs cleared in the UK at all but treated as a airside or cross dock operation ( assuming the dangerous goods /H&S requirements are complied with)
Posted Wed, 01 May 2024 12:59:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

You can see the guidance below to find what you or your business may need before you hire someone to act directly or indirectly on your behalf.

Check what you need to consider before getting someone to deal with customs for you

Get someone to deal with customs for you

Thank you
Posted Wed, 01 May 2024 22:32:31 GMT by Koops85
Thank you both - The idea is for this to arrive via Fedex , so cross dock would not be an option I think. I spoke with a customs Agent about it, and they said that even if this arrived as airfreight they would not be able to arrange a transhipmnet as due to the nature of goods (Class 7 ) the 10% inspection would not be possibe...

You must be signed in to post in this forum.