Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 15:37:14 GMT by
We live in Spain and are coming back to UK for 8 to 10 months to look after a family member. We will be driving through Spain and France with personal belonging in the boot and back seat (eg clothes, pictures, beddings, some pots and pans - nothing much). I have had a look at TOR form and I have heard a rumour this is communicated back to Spanish authorities and our "Residencia" will expire. The rules say we can be out of Spanish for 2 years before this happens (we understand we will be Tax resident in the UK). Is this just a rumour? I contacted HMRC and they said to use the Temporary Import Form. But it says I have to register as a EORI! It seems a bit silly for some stuff in the boot and back seat. Any thoughts. Thanks
Posted Mon, 05 Feb 2024 13:08:47 GMT by
you could use the oral declaration if required at the EU Port to Enter the UK, other wise just return as a normal tourist as these are personal items which will go back with you when you return to spain
Posted Tue, 06 Feb 2024 10:33:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

We are unable to comment on what may have been communicated by Spanish authorities.

If you do not want to apply for TOR then you can either look in to temporary admission, declarations by crossing the border ‘by any other act’ or oral declaration, at the time of entry or pay the custom charges at entry and then request for repayment while leaving the country, by form C285. You can see guidance on both here:

Apply to import goods temporarily to the UK

How to apply for a repayment of import duty and VAT if you've overpaid (C285)

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.