Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2024 15:05:27 GMT by James
I am a US resident and I sent a package full of gifts (some candies, a couple toys, a couple comic books, a second-hand t-shirt) to a friend who is currently in the UK for university. The package is currently awaiting UK customs clearance, and as I understand it, if there are monies due, that the UK will notify my recipient of the costs to be paid so they can receive my package. I was wondering, if and when it is determined that there are monies due, is it possible for me (the sender) to pay those monies instead of my recipient?
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2024 16:32:56 GMT by Customs oldtimer
This will depend on how you have shipped the items a what value they are. Goods that have a value below £39 will be duty and tax free. Goods between £40 a d £135 will be duty free but subject to VAT @ 29% for most goods. Goods over £135 will be charged duty and VAT . HMRC do not normally directly contact importers for the taxes. If any taxes are due and the goods have been sent by post then the post service will contact the receiver and ask them / someone to pay online . Who pays does not matter. If the goods have come by fast parcel courier then it depends on what was arranged when you dispatched the goods. Again they will usually contact the recipient for payment. Who actually pays does not matter so it is between you and your friend to decide.
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2024 15:20:06 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

If the sender wants to pay for the import charges, this needs to be arranged between the sender and courier company prior to sending goods.

You should contact the courier to check if that is possible otherwise any charges demand notice will be issued to the receiver of the goods in UK. Information on sending gifts from abroad is covered in guidance below:

Tax and customs for goods sent from abroad

Thank you
Posted Tue, 12 Mar 2024 15:27:16 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Sorry but I noticed a typing error in my previous post. Import VAT is 20% not 29% !

You must be signed in to post in this forum.