Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 08 Nov 2023 04:54:38 GMT by
Hi, I hope you are all well. I would like to ask whether there is any tax/duties implications on bringing silver coins to UK when coming back from holidays? I have found myself enjoying collecting silver coins, I have no plans on selling them and rather to get my collection bigger. I was wondering, in the post-brexit times, would I be able to bring some coins with me that I purchased while on holidays in Europe? UK silver coin market is not as developed as the rest of Europe and there is plenty of gems to be found. I have looked into custom tariffs and could find the following: - Coin (other than gold coin), not being legal tender 7118100000 - Other 7118900000 Most of the coins are considered legal tender by their respective countries - including coins minted by the UK mint. Both categories state 0% rates. Would there by any other taxes/fees/duties/levies applicable? Coins could be purchased either from private individuals (with no additional vat) or companies (with a standard europe VAT of 20% included in the price when I purchase them). I would appreciate any insight on whether i can bring any and if so, how many? I would rather avoid a surprise of being stopped on the border and made feel like a criminal. Kind Regards, 

Name removed admin 
Posted Wed, 08 Nov 2023 12:30:56 GMT by Customs oldtimer
If you are physically bringing goods in for your own use in your baggage then you should look at https://www.gov.uk/bringing-goods-into-uk-personal-use and https://www.gov.uk/bringing-cash-into-uk It is not relevant to UK authorities whether you paid any taxes to another country or not.
Posted Wed, 08 Nov 2023 12:49:06 GMT by
Hi Customs Oldtimer, Thanks for your reply. One link you've sent states that I could bring £390 of really anything into the UK. The other states up to £10000 although would that still apply to british silver coins? Their face value is £2 each usually. Surely I couldn't bring that many coins?
Posted Thu, 09 Nov 2023 14:30:21 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Hi I cannot answer that as it will depend on whether the coins you purchase are currency or not. One set of rules is for currency controls and the other is for personal import of goods. If you are uncertain then go through the red channel and make an oral customs declaration to the officer.
Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 07:22:37 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Andrew Niebedocigodou,
Please have a look here for more information on the limits to what you can bring into and take out of the UK without needing to declare it:
Take cash in and out of the UK
Thank you. 

Posted Tue, 14 Nov 2023 10:41:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Trade tariff UK provides information on duty and import VAT on commodities.

Trade Tariff: look up commodity codes, duty and VAT rates

You can see information on bringing goods into the UK for personal use below, it covers the personal allowance for an individual when goods are brought in personal baggage. It also covers how to claim EU preference if there is a duty chargeable on goods.

Bringing goods into the UK for personal use

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.