Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 24 May 2024 10:38:39 GMT by magda_lena
Hello, I relocated to the UK with my partner this month. We shipped our personal items, such as clothes, kitchen appliances, and books, from Germany to our new apartment via DHL (Germany) and Parcelforce (UK). I must confess that we did not sufficiently inform ourselves about the customs charges and did not register our goods in any way; we only completed the required customs declaration. We received and paid substantial bills for VAT, customs duties, and clearance fees to receive our parcels. Subsequently, I discovered on the GOV website that there are some options for tax relief after relocating to the UK. Is it possible for us to claim relief for our personal goods? And is there a way to apply for a repayment of import duty and VAT for our received parcels? Thank you for any advice.
Posted Tue, 04 Jun 2024 09:00:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
You can get relief from customs charges due on personal belongings and other goods, when transferring your place of residence to Great Britain (England, Scotland and Wales) or Northern Ireland from outside the EU:
Transfer of residence to the UK
If you’ve been charged import duties but believe you were eligible to claim transfer of residence relief, you can still apply for the relief.
If the relief is granted and you or an agent made a full declaration using the Customs Declaration Service (CDS), you can complete form C285. The form will enable you to have the import duties repaid. Find more information on repayment of duty and tax, and form C285 in How to apply for a repayment of import duty and VAT if you’ve overpaid.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.