Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 03 Aug 2024 15:21:30 GMT by Happytalk
Hi all I would be very grateful if some advice please. My daughter recently got married and her husbands parents (outside EU) have invited myself and my wife over. I believe its their custom to give us personal gifts and l am aware some maybe high value. I wondered if there are any.limits etc on what we can bring back without having to declare? Would appreciate any advice or guidance. Many thanks for your help and time taken to reply Kind regards 

Name removed admin .
Posted Mon, 05 Aug 2024 15:27:13 GMT by Customs oldtimer
The personal allowance for goods being imported in person into the uk ( other than alcohol or tobacco) is £390 in value.This applies to goods you have been given or purchased. You will find details of travellers personal allowance s an how to declare goods over the allowance here. https://www.gov.uk/bringing-goods-into-uk-personal-use
Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 04:25:08 GMT by Happytalk
Hi there. Thank you are replying and the information given...very useful. I am obviously aware of what we have spent and it's under the limit but how do l account for the gifts we have been given as l have no idea of their value. ? Many thanks again for any advice and the time taken to reply:) Regards HT
Posted Thu, 08 Aug 2024 11:23:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Happytalk,
You can bring some goods from abroad without having to pay UK tax or duty.
The amount of goods you can bring is commonly known as your ‘personal allowance’.
Please see below link for more information:
Bringing goods into the UK for personal use
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.