Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2024 09:26:53 GMT by drmclem
I'm looking at buying a second hand (old 1940's) sewing machine from Germany (approx 300 pounds in value) and I want to organise all the shipping or other transfer back to the UK where I am resident and trying to work out how to do it and pay all the relevant charges in advance so I don't get caught out by handling fees. Most of the online advice seems to relate to businesses who are VAT registered. There is also seems to be a difference in allowance - if I bring it over personally it appears that up to 390 UKP worth can brought through (see https://www.gov.uk/bringing-goods-into-uk-personal-use/arriving-in-Great-Britain) but if I ship it it is only 135. Can anyone suggest some clear pointers on the process I can use and refer to in discussion with any couriers ?
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2024 14:17:02 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Hi You are correct if you personally carry your goods through customs either in your luggage or vehicle you can bring in goods up to £390 duty and VAT free. If the goods come in by courier or post then goods up to £135 are duty free but there will still be import VAT to pay. Over £135 and both duty and VAT apply to the total value.This applies even with sales between private individuals. If the goods are gifts then there is a £39 duty and VAT free limit. If you purchase goods up to £135 from a business then you will be charged VAT at point of sale and no further charges would be applied at import Domestic sewing machines are generally 0%duty The courier companies ship thousands of parcels each day so are very familiar with the requirements. They will of course charge for their services. Payment of taxes is usually via their websites.
Posted Thu, 15 Aug 2024 16:15:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi drmclem,
Please contact our International Trade Team who can advise on this:
Imports and exports: general enquiries
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.