Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2024 10:36:42 GMT by alentana
My mum from Russia sent a parcel with gifts for our family. I am pregnant, the parcel contains a jumpsuit for me and a manicure set to care for the baby. A plain t-shirt and an eco-leather bracelet for my husband. Trousers and a set of rubber bath toys, for our 2 year old daughter. A jumpsuit and a comforter toy for the baby due at the end of September. Each gift is less than £25 each. The total value of the parcel including delivery, packing and other is less than £135. Each gift in the declaration separately, packed separately in a shared box. Yesterday, the parcel arrived at customs. And this morning I see that customs duties have been raised and I will have to pay tax plus Parcelforce commission. I am stressed because I don't understand why? Can someone please explain to me what is wrong with my parcel and where to go in this case?
Posted Mon, 02 Sep 2024 15:49:37 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Hi I am not from HMRC but have you looked at this guidance. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/import-vat-and-customs-duty-on-gifts Can I also suggest that you query this directly with parcel force as it is they who have raised the charges . If it is not clear that the items are gifts below £39 or for multiple people ( separately packaged) then taxes may have been charged.
Posted Tue, 03 Sep 2024 11:29:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
You need to check what value of the items was declared on the individual packages. Use form BOR286 if you believe the Customs Duty or import VAT was wrongly calculated on an item you imported by post using Royal Mail or Parcelforce.
Report incorrect Customs Duty or VAT on items imported by post (BOR286)

You must be signed in to post in this forum.