Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 16 Nov 2023 23:31:49 GMT by
Hi there, I was hoping to get some assistance. I have recently moved to the UK and shipped personal goods from Australia. I acquired a ToR permit (valid until March 2024) and it was attached to the shipment (confirmed with the UPS team in Perth). I have been charged import charges, taxes and brokerage fees, which I have paid so UPS release and deliver my goods. UPS UK are radio silent when I’m asking for help / getting a refund. I believe I should be refunded all charges (inclusive of the brokerage charges as a mistake has been made on their end). I am not sure how the breakdown at customs happened and not sure the best way to get this resolved. Any guidance would be much appreciated.
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2023 14:15:59 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Hi Your first point of contact should be UPS as it is they who made the customs declaration without claiming TOR. Also Did you explicitly instruct them to use TOR? All the courier firm work from the information provided to them electronically when the shipment is booked. Alternatively if you have the charging details from UPS you can apply directly to HMRC and provide the TOR . You can make a claim on line . Look up customs duty refund. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/how-to-apply-for-a-repayment-of-import-duty-and-vat-if-youve-overpaid-c285
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2023 15:17:47 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Georgia Ogden,
You can look in to applying for a repayment using below link.
How to apply for a repayment of import duty and VAT if you've overpaid (C285)
Thank you. 

Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2023 15:24:19 GMT by
Thank you. Everything was submitted with the shipment / electronically. UPS have admitted they made a mistake and clearly missed the information when brokering it at customs. My issue is that they are making me wait for the HRMC process when I feel they are at fault, admitted fault and should therefore refund me in a timely manner. Just a very frustrating experience! I am aware of the process if I go down to reclaiming directly with HRMC (obviously trying to avoid this if possible). Thank you
Posted Thu, 23 Nov 2023 15:54:30 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Unfortunately it’s a commercial matter between UPS and yourself and it’s not something that HMRC can help with.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.