Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 08 Aug 2024 15:19:37 GMT by IanWells2000
We have computer equipment that was bought in the UK (earlier this year) but then housed on one of our sites in Ireland for a few months. We plan to bring this equipment back to the UK to be rehoused at one of our UK sites as the infrastructure is being changed. The plan is for an employee to drive (via the ferry) and collect the equipment and return (again via ferry) to deliver it to the UK site where it will be kept from then on. We are struggling to understand what if any process we have to follow to allow this equipment to be transported back to the UK. The equipment has always been owned by the UK company and the usage in Ireland was at group company site to service the entire group. It has not been nor will be bought or sold within the business but simply housed at the Ireland site. Please could you guide me on what process has to be followed to allow for the equipment to be brought back to the UK?
Posted Thu, 08 Aug 2024 17:24:18 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Hi When goods leave the UK they lose their duty paid status . You can bring the goods back duty free by providing proof of the original export. As the goods are going to be brought back by an employee you need to follow the procedures for bringing commercial goods into the UK. The guidance cover goods in vehicles. It does not matter that you already own the goods when applying customs procedures. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/bringing-commercial-goods-into-great-britainin-your-baggage
Posted Fri, 09 Aug 2024 11:40:58 GMT by IanWells2000
Looking at this it gets complicated :D I am going to try and find someone who can do the paperwork for us as it is well beyond me. Thank you for your help
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2024 10:55:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi IanWells2000,
You can claim a relief to pay less Customs Duty and VAT if you re-import goods to the UK.
How to claim
Please check below guidance to find out what you need to do when importing commercial goods into Great Britain in your accompanied baggage or small vehicle. 
Bringing commercial goods into Great Britain in your baggage
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.