Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 09 Nov 2023 15:18:32 GMT by
Ordered items from , all in GBP and at no point during shopping, shipping or checkout do they mention they are based in Italy. The items arrived and we sent them all back (again to Italy!) we’ve since received a bill for £255!! So firstly, can we claim this back via a C285 form as the items have been returned and alternatively can we refuse to pay on the basis the company hides behind where they are based. It’s only on trawling through the website do you find statements like ‘you may be eligible for import duties’ etc etc. But again I order for a lot of Dutch/Nordic/French websites and have never been charged?! Any advice is much appreciated!

[Company details removed - Admin]
Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 17:03:44 GMT by Customs oldtimer
You may be able to claim any UK duty and tax back if you have details of the import proof of the Duty amount and proof of the export out of the UK. The charges may not only be for uk duty , there may also be handling charges and possibly Italian taxes and duty for the goods re entering Italy . You need to check with the courier. Always check T&Cs as some websites include taxes and duties whereas for others leave it for the buyer to sort out. Some don’t accept returns either .
Posted Tue, 14 Nov 2023 10:56:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If goods have been returned with a proof and customs charges have been paid to the courier, you can request a repayment. If the charges have been paid through Royal Mail or Parcel Force then you can use form BOR286 and if it was any other courier you can use C285 claim form.

Report incorrect Customs Duty or VAT on items imported by post (BOR286)

How to apply for a repayment of import duty and VAT if you've overpaid (C285)

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.