Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 15:09:51 GMT by jayenolan
I want to send a piece of audio equipment from Portugal to the UK. The item is my own property, it is used, I bought it in the UK 2 years ago, so I am not importing a new goods item, and I am shipping it back to myself from Lisbon to my home address in the UK. Will I need to pay any customs charges? How can I ensure it clears customs?
Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 17:47:15 GMT by Customs oldtimer
If you have evidence of the UK purchase then you can usually claim returned goods relief. You shoud put this on your package. If you are shipping by post the post office will deal with the customs clearance.you need to stxk a customs CN 22 label on your package saying exactly what is in your package. Saying something like personal possessions isn’t acceptable. If you use a courier service such as FedEx, UPS, DPD etc they will ask you for information when you book the shipment. They will clear customs for you. There is a risk that they will not take any notice of your returned goods statement and ask for duty and VAT. If they do ask you to pay taxes tell them they are returned goods. They may ask for proof.
Posted Fri, 09 Aug 2024 07:34:04 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi jayenolan,
You can claim a relief to pay less Customs Duty and VAT if you re-import goods to the UK.
Please see below link for information on normal time limits for returning goods and process to claim when goods are imported by post from outside Great Britain.
Normal time limits for returning goods
How to claim
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.