Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 11 Feb 2024 15:37:37 GMT by
Hello, I'm a UK resident and travel a lot. I'm planning to go to Japan for one week (approx. --15 degrees celsius), and then backpack through Thailand/Cambodia (30+ degrees celsius) for 2 weeks. For Japan, I'll have a suitcase filled with winter apparel/gear (parka, snowshoes, boots, etc.). Instead of lugging this around while I backpack through SE Asia in 30-degree heat, I'm considering shipping this suitcase back home, and then arriving 2 weeks later. [1] Could you please tell me if I will owe any money to the HMRC? To be clear, the suitcase will be filled with my own used personal belongings, ALL of which I had purchased in London. [2] For the purposes of HMRC, what form will I have to fill out and how should I declare my goods? That is, what should I actually write? [3] Does any of this depend on the goods' value? (there's a £1k-parka, if that makes a difference, but it's otherwise of reasonable value). I have never dealt with customs before and would appreciate a simple explanation. Thank you in advance :)
Posted Fri, 16 Feb 2024 11:23:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Fabian,
If customer is sending personal belongings back in a shipment, the shipping company should handle all the customs formalities.
Customer can look in to claiming returned goods relief, ask the sender to write:
Returned goods — relief claimed’ clearly on the package and its accompanying import declaration.
The declaration must include a complete and accurate description of the goods, their quantity and value.
More information on below link.
How to claim
Thank you. 


You must be signed in to post in this forum.