Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2024 16:42:43 GMT by davismike37
I have received a unique reference number along with the approval of my ToR application, and my possessions will reenter the UK in the back of a friend's Van, who is coming via ferry in August to get my things and repatriate them for me. From what I understand, ToR approval implies that there is no duty to be paid on my household items, but the guidance is not clear on what exactly this means for the procedure that my friend should take when reaching Customs at the UK border. I am repatriating 95% the same items that I moved with when leaving the UK 2 years ago, which was done via a removals company where I was required to provide a list of boxes, a rough description of their contents, weight, volume and estimated worth. Do I still need to submit an online declaration for all of my household items complete with all the relentlessly particular information about the items (estimated worth, weight, quantity, volume, etc.), or is ToR approval sufficient to go through Customs without making a declaration? If yes, will it be sufficient to submit a list of boxes/large items just as I did before? And finally, how can I minimize the burden on my friend when they go through the UK border with my belongings? (e.g. not forcing them to wait for hours while border agents comb through my personal belongings, if that's possible) Cheers
Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 08:05:34 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

Moving goods commercially such as a transport company moving goods for a client is different compared to a private individual bringing personal goods. You can see guidance on how to go through customs with TOR relief here:

How to go through customs

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.