Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 07 Feb 2024 11:33:37 GMT by
I recently returned a Real Madrid shirt to Spain as it was faulty. They arranged the delivery courier and I had to pay £71 at my local Post Office for import duty, but they gave me no receipt. For the return, Real Madrid also arranged courier collection via UPS. All I have in the way of documentation to prove all of this is my card payment details for the import duty (statement), a scan of the item's original delivery note and commercial invoice and the collection reference number / confirmation of collection email from UPS. Little of this seems to provide the information needed on the C285 form.
Posted Wed, 07 Feb 2024 18:34:53 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Hi If the original import was via the post then the reclaim form is a BOR 286. The post office handles its own reclaim process. You should have a charge reference number.
Posted Fri, 16 Feb 2024 11:07:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Jeff Chater,
As per the guidance to claim a repayment you’ll need:
•    form E2 — the entry acceptance form received for goods imported into the UK, for CHIEF claims only
•    form C88 — the main customs form used in international trade to declare goods to customs, for CHIEF claims only
•    the Movement Reference Number (MRN) — for Customs Declaration Service claims
•    a commercial invoice for the imported goods
•    a packing list
•    the transport documents — airway bill or bill of lading
•    the amount of import duty or VAT that was paid to HMRC
•    the amount that should have been paid to HMRC
•    your contact and address details
You may be asked to upload additional documents depending on your claim type.
If you do not have above evidence, you can write a cover letter to explain the circumstances.
It will up to the discretion of NDRC to accept or reject the evidence.
Thank you. 


You must be signed in to post in this forum.