Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 29 May 2024 15:19:57 GMT by SteveAngloplas Taylor
I shipped three large boxes to Dublin, Ireland via UPS and my customer had forgotten to keep his TAN account topped up so UPS where unable to get the import duties so the boxes where returned to me in the UK. Eight weeks later we recieved an invoice from UPS for import charges depsite the goods being returned to sender. We have reshipped the order to Dublin and on the second attempt my customer paid the import duties but these where shipped two weeks prior to getting the invoice from UPS. So Irsih customs have had two lots of duties for the same goods. can we claim this back and if so who do we contact please
Posted Fri, 31 May 2024 10:39:32 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Hi As the duties were applied in Ireland you would need to check with the Irish Revenue Service its is not something UK HMRC can advise on. I would also check with UPS as the goods in the original shipment should not have been returned if they were customs cleared and duties paid.
Posted Tue, 04 Jun 2024 09:15:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 8
Hi,
If both charge notices have been raised by Irish customs and they have been paid to them, trader needs to contact Irish customs for repayment claim.
If trader in UK was charged for returned goods and looking to claim a repayment, please see below guidance.:
How to claim a repayment of import duty and VAT if you've overpaid
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 04 Jun 2024 09:32:10 GMT by SteveAngloplas Taylor
thank you for the advise

You must be signed in to post in this forum.