Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 08 Apr 2024 21:47:35 GMT by jacobvdb
Question about relocating personal belongs (household) from UK to EU. I will move in two steps; first, friends will take some of my personal belongings (mostly books) from the UK to the EU by car ; later I will move my other stuff (some furniture, kitchen utensils, clothes, etc) also from UK to EU. Are there any formalities on the UK side of the border that I need to deal with in advance? (And if known, what about the French side, we'll probably be taking the ferry?)
Posted Tue, 16 Apr 2024 07:36:50 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Unfortunately now the UK has left the EU you cannot just take goods into the EU even if they are personal belongings . Check out To see if your circumstances meet one of the criteria for a simplified conduct or oral declaration. If you are moving to another country in the EU then you need to check what their requirements are. There is duty relief available for transfer of residence but usually needs to be applied for in advance. Again you would need to check if it would be acceptable for you friends to take items for you and still get relief.
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2024 12:01:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If your goods are for personal use, you do not normally need to make a formal declaration, requiring you to complete an electronic customs declaration, when you bring them into or out of the UK. These goods include private vehicles that have been in the UK before, and personal effects and gifts carried in your luggage or driven in a vehicle. You can see guidance here:

Check how to declare personal goods you bring into or take out of the UK

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.