Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 26 Sep 2023 07:46:54 GMT by Marino Kacala
hello , hope someone can advise please. I bought a pair of shoes from an Italian based supplier. Value about £400. They were sent I paid all duties / VAT admin etc , etc. Now the shoes are too small , selling willing to refund me (obviously less all the VAT / duties / admin fee etc etc ). If I buy the 2nd larger pair (the original pair having been sent back and the refund received) my question is do I need to pay all duties on the 2nd pair (I guess YES !) AND can I get a REFUND of duties paid for the first pair ? (first pair went back in original box unused. If I can get a refund for first pair any advise on which FORMS I need to take control of ! thankyou
Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2023 07:04:11 GMT by Customs oldtimer
Yes you will need to pay the duty on the second import. You can reclaim import duty and VAT on a rejected import. The type of application will depend on how the goods were originally imported. If they were imported by post it will be. BOR 285 anything else including couriers / fast parcel operators it is a C 285 . There is also an online application depending on how the goods were imported. For goods purchased on line you have 90 days from import to make the claim. You will also need to provide proof of import ,duty payment and reexport. Look up how to apply for a repayment of import duty.
Posted Mon, 09 Oct 2023 11:57:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

Yes, you can request a repayment for the returned goods. If the goods were imported using Royal Mail/Parcel force you can make a claim using form BOR286 and if it was with any other private courier you can use form C285. You can see more information here:

How to apply for a repayment of import duty and VAT if you've overpaid (C285)

Report incorrect Customs Duty or VAT on items imported by post (BOR286)

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.